Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Primal Pasta Sauce

I don't measure anything anymore when I make this. It is derived from a pasta sauce I found at MarksDailyApple.com. Here is a link to the original recipe: How to Make the Ultimate Tomato Sauce. Mine is pretty well simplified from the MDA version. 

I make mine a bit differently... ok, a lot differently b/c we didn't like it in its original form. Probably would be fine without the wine. Like I said, I don't measure anything anymore, so measurements are approximate. 

28 oz crushed tomatoes
12 oz tomato paste
small can of mushrooms
2 lbs ground beef (could use venison, pork or other ground meat)
1/2 medium onion - chopped
3 cloves garlic - chopped
Italian seasoning
garlic powder
bay leaf
salt and pepper

Brown burger and onion together until meat is done. Add rest of ingredients. Simmer for as long as you want. The longer it simmers, the better it is. Remove bay leaf before eating. Yeah, pretty simple. Simple enough to adjust for your own family's tastes. :) 

This makes a TON of sauce, usually enough for two nights of spaghetti. I usually freeze half of it for use later. I serve it to my family with DeBoles gluten free angel hair pasta, but eat my own with a spaghetti squash. 

To prepare the spaghetti squash, I cut the ends off, then set the squash on one flat end and cut in half. Scrape out the stuff, place cut face down in a glass dish. Add about 1 inch of water and 1 tbsp butter. Nuke on high for 15-20 minutes. The squash will still have a veggie consistency, but has great flavor. It will NOT feel like pasta, just sayin'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment