Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Incoherent meltdown

DS had a blue day at school today. His teacher said he kept doing things after being told not to. I expressed my disappointment in his behavior. He started telling me about what another kid was doing. I told him I didn't care what the other kid was doing, and he told me it was mean to say that I don't care about the other kid. A discussion ensued about how the other kid is not my kid and as such I don't care what he does behaviorally. For whatever reason, this made DS start crying. 

Fast forward to after we got home. He was whiny and annoying, crying because the wrong cartoon was on tv, mad because I hadn't gotten him a cup of milk yet, and pitching a fit because I told him no to having a hot dog. I finally got tired of hearing him say "I'm hungry!" and allowed him a hot dog and some milk. Afterwards he kept fussing about being hungry, but fell asleep before dinner was ready. 

After getting dinner done, he woke up and was talking incoherently. I have no idea what he was saying. I imagine he was "awake" but still living out whatever dream he was having. I told him dinner was ready and he should go eat. He went out and sat at the table. Got up and decided to take off his pants. He was unable to get his feet out of his pants and got frustrated. Started crying and carrying on. I asked him what the problem was. He expressed his frustration with not being able to get his pants off and then threw a fit when I wouldn't let him take his underwear off. 

The fit continued. I touched him and he lashed out and crawled to the other side of the couch. He kicked me. I swatted his leg, lightly, and told him kicking is inappropriate. He started crying again. I asked him to stop crying so he could listen to me. He screamed at the top of his lungs at me. I don't know what he said because he screamed it so loudly it was indiscernible. At this point, I sent him to his room and told him he does not talk to me like that. 

After he calmed down and came out from his room, he started whining about dinner and laid on the couch for a while, asking for cartoons. I told him he could watch cartoons again if he ate some dinner. He sat at the table for a while, fussing and whining and fake coughing, refusing to eat. He finally ate probably two pieces of chicken. 

I've seen some interesting behavior from this child but nothing like this. He was more emotional than I have ever seen him before. I don't understand it. I really don't get it. 

After everyone calmed down, I asked him what he was so mad about and he said he doesn't remember. 

I think he'll take a bath and then go to bed and we'll start over tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment